Great discussion!

For me it would make sense to stay with (1) until we have the first release of
TomEE 10.x and then depending on the state of that release make a new decision
on 9.x.

As I suspect (2) doesn't help very much since it would add more effort than it
saves: instead of backporting CVEs from Tomcat 10.1 to 10.0 we would have to
re-integrate the Servlet 5 stuff in every 10.1 release.

Frankie