Here is a small update to ause's new numbers with the new harness (from
IRC):

(build --all is in instsetoo_native just after a fresh build)

running run_test.sh on a local disk:

              complete                hot/nothing changed
touch.sh         15m30s                 -
gnumake         132m45s                 1m45s
jam              14m42s                 0m7s
dmake 4.5       109m54s                 1m47s
dmake 4.6         7m52s                 1m45s
build --all                           200m

We are comparing apples and oranges here. The first tests are run on a
test harness which has about the same number of files as OO.o. You
can view these as the baseline that can technically be achieved. The
build --all figure is from an actual build. If our baseline for a no changes
build
is 7 seconds we can perhaps improve on 3 hours and 20 minutes?

@Kay: I hope this clears up the numbers we talked about yesterday.