Yuri Dario wrote:
> Hi Volker,
>
>> free software. I thought your OS/2 environment is unix-like? Did you
>> ever try to use USE_SHELL=bash?
>
> when I started porting, the only shell choices were tcsh and 4nt; since
> the first one was not available and porting it was not simple, I used
> 4nt/4os2 because they are free software under os2.

I just learned that 4os2 is free, 4nt is not. Too bad.

> We have a bash 3.1 port, but I don't know if it as stable as 4os2. I
> can look at it in the long term, but for some time I don't think I'll
> move out from 4os2 (I already have a lot of work from other OOo code).

I (or anyone) wants something extra from you, but if you look how W32
does it, it is not much extra work. Most of the differences between
4nt, bash and tcsh are hidden behind some macros. If you use the same
macros you are more or less fine, if you write shell dependent syntax
you are not writing portable (or whatever it is called in the build
environment) code.

Example:

        $(IFEXIST) $(@:s/.obj/.o/) $(THEN) $(TOUCH) $@ $(FI)

All those macros are defined in the startup files dependent
on the shell that is used.

  Volker