In case anyone wants to chime in, the conversation is still ongoing:

Current argument is that we just use SparkR::: as a prefix to access any
private SparkR methods and continue to use reflection to access the
RBackend class on the JVM. They are hesitant to support the API outside of
internal use and didn't consider our use case of running the kernel and R
backend in the same JVM. My main fear with staying private is that they
remove the functionality entirely without considering external consumers
like Toree.