>Do we really want to add a new API endpoint just to support the legacy
format

An endpoint and UI page are easier to use for Self-Service CDN consumers.
Some CDN tenants might not know how to run a script or use a command line.
I'm not sure I understand the objection. Why is it such a big deal to add
an endpoint? And/or to support importing old formats? IMO importing old
data formats should be a first-class citizen, in any API or UI. Data jails
are bad.

>traffic_ops/app/bin/config2json

The difference is that the TO config is used by system administrators. As
Self-Service moves forward, profiles and other API data will be used by CDN
tenants, who may have very little technical knowledge. We need to make sure
anything a Self-Service tenant may need to do has a simple graphical way to
do it, and also an API so people deploying TC can write their own UIs if
necessary.