It seems like we don't have consensus on this. SemVer is painful in Go; but
improves the user experience, and prevents bugs and data loss.

Can I propose a compromise?

Did anyone look at my proposal to use Reflection?
https://github.com/rob05c/apiver

The versioning is almost entirely encapsulated in the package, and the
usage looks like this:

type DeliveryService struct {
Active *bool `json:"active" db:"active" api:"1.1"`
DeepCachingType *DeepCachingType `json:"deepCachingType"
db:"deep_caching_type" api:"1.3"`
MaxOriginConnections *int `json:"maxOriginConnections"
db:"max_origin_connections" api:"1.4"`
json := apiver.NewJSON(1.1)
bts, err := json.Marshal(ds)

This also gives us a free bug fix in the current versioning, that doing an
UPDATE from an older version overwrites newer non-default fields, by using
the same library struct to post to SQL:

`verDS := apiver.BuildUnmarshalObj(ds, 1.2)`

My point is: removing it is trivial. If we decide we don't want do SemVer
and minor versioning, all we have to do is remove those "api" tags, and the
`json := apiver.NewJSON(1.1)` lines.

My proposal is this: what if we change the TO versioning to use this
library now. And if we decide it isn't maintainable, it's trivial to remove
in the future, if we make that decision.

The work to add it, is essentially the same work as to remove minor
versioning altogether. What if we add this now, see how it is, see how
difficult it is to maintain. Then, if it's too much work, we can trivially
remove it to get rid of versioning altogether. If not, we can keep it.

Is that a compromise we could live with?

(Incidentally, with regard to the TO-matching-TC-versioning discussion:
this library can also handle major versions, if we want to adopt that. I
think that's really distinct from minor versioning, and that discussion
should probably take place separately, but it's on this thread, so I wanted
to point out the tag/reflection solution does support it.)