As a motivating use-case, how about:

1. Develop an impl.java component to the specialized REST interface
because I have in mind right from the start that I want to expose this
service over binding.atom.

2. Later, I want to invoke this component over some other binding
using an XML wire format using JAX-WS to define the mapping between
WSDL/XML and Java, (e.g. binding.ws or binding.jms) so I want to
capture the <interface.wsdl> description of the service interface.

So any service interface needs to be mappable to WSDL, and the user
might want to capture that interface and express it in SCDL with an
<interface.wsdl>.

To me this just seems like a matter of tweaking the details of setting
up and making the mediate() call from the binding.atom impl.

Scott