On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Florian MOGA <moga....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've decided to open a separate thread for this discussion as this topic is
> big enough. I've tried all the samples from 2.0-beta2 rc2 and here are my
> findings:
> - sample-scdl-include-contribution (fails to load contribution when using
> mvn tuscany:run, is there another way to start the runtime for this sample?)
> - sample-dosgi-calculator-operations (org.osgi.framework.BundleException:
> The bundle could not be resolved.)
> - sample-dosgi-dynamic-calculator-operations
> (org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The bundle could not be resolved.)
> - sample-implementation-bpel-contribution (fails to load contribution when
> using mvn tuscany:run, is there another way to start the runtime for this
> sample?)
> - sample-implementation-bpel-webapp ("Cant find BPEL Process" at startup)
> - sample-implementation-composite-helloworld-contribution
> (java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Contribution not found as file or
> dependency: ..\helloworld\target\sample-helloworld.jar)
> - sample-implementation-composite-helloworld-ws-contribution
> (java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Contribution not found as file or
> dependency: ..\helloworld-recursive\target\sample-helloworld-recursive.jar)
> - sample-implementation-java-calculator-async-contribution (Caused by:
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemId: http://calculator/; lineNumber: 2;
> columnNumber: 132; The value of the attribute
> "prefix="xmlns",localpart="ns4",rawname="xmlns:ns4"" is invalid. Prefixed
> namespace bindings may not be empty.)
> - sample-implementation-script-calculator(Caused by:
> java.lang.IllegalStateException: Provider factory not found for class:
> org.apache.tuscany.sca.implementation.script.impl.ScriptImplementationImpl)
> - sample-implementation-spring-helloworld-webapp (fails at startup)
> - sample-implementation-web-helloworld-js-client-webapp (functionality
> broken)
> - sample-implementation-web-helloworld-jsf-webapp (functionality broken)
> - sample-sca-client-calculator(Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException:
> Provider factory not found for class:
> org.apache.tuscany.sca.implementation.script.impl.ScriptImplementationImpl)
> - sample-sca-client-helloworld (Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException:
> Provider factory not found for class:
> org.apache.tuscany.sca.implementation.script.impl.ScriptImplementationImpl)
> - shell (scripts don't load successfully)
> - maven-osgi-junit (exceptions in junit log)
> - sample-store (tests pass but when using Launch.java ->
> ClassNotFoundException)
> - feed in sample-store-webapp returns 404
> - eightball-webapp (when clicking Ask returns 500)
> There are samples that don't have Java classes or unit tests as launchers so
> I've started them using mvn tuscany:run. Let me know if those samples
> should've been launched differently.
> How should we approach all those issues? It might worth having the
> [...]

Great stuff Florian, thanks for doing that work.

Some of those I know are relatively easy to fix and its just a matter
of getting around to it. I'll try to find some time on it over the
next days. Some of those don't have unit or integration tests run in
the build is why they got broken but quite a lot of them do but the
tests just aren't testing enough or properly.

I'm starting to wonder if we should find a new sample approach. An
issue is presently anyone can add a sample which may or may not have
doc or tests or work in a standard or unusual way and it gets included
in the releases and then adds to perceived quality seen by users and
release reviewers. Because of that what we often do is delay releasing
until "most" of the samples have been brought up to a reasonable
consistent standard but thats not perfect as it slows down releases
and theres still usually some samples that don't work normally and
without doc which users to find a get confused about.

One thing we could try is releasing the samples separately from the
main code, a lot of other projects do that, and our SDO releases had
the samples separate. That would mean we could do much more frequent
releases of the runtime code as releases wouldn't get held up with
sample quality issues. Is any one for or against trying something like
that?

   ...ant