On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Raymond Feng <enjoyj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice!
> We can also extend the activation/deactivation scheme to support one of the
> following (can be customized via web.xml):
> 1) Pre-start the node when the web app starts and stop it when the web app
> stops (what we have today)
> 2) Lazy-start the node when the 1st HTTP request comes in and stop it when
> the web app stops
> 3) Start/stop the node for any given HTTP request (need to figure out how to
> deal with concurrent requests)
> 4) Start the node triggered by a HTTP request and stop it when it goes idle
> for a period
> Thanks,
> Raymond
> Raymond Feng
> rf...@apache.org
> Apache Tuscany PMC member and committer: tuscany.apache.org
> Co-author of Tuscany SCA In Action book: www.tuscanyinaction.com
> Personal Web Site: www.enjoyjava.com
> On Mar 3, 2011, at 7:59 AM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Recently I've been experimenting with ways to speed up the bootstrap
> of the Java runtime to support mass virtual hosting.
>
> I thought I'd share my findings here.
>
> Here's a summary of the use case:
> - you're hosting hundreds or thousands of apps, published under
> corresponding virtual hosts
> - you can't pre-declare, pre-load and pre-start them all
> - you need to activate an app when you get a request for it
> - and clean up its resources after the request has been processed.
>
> and the mechanisms I experimented with:
> - bootstrap the part of the runtime that's independent of any app, once
> - load the app composite on the first request for it
> - cache the app composite model
> - activate/deactivate its components + start/stop them for each request
> - do that for each HTTP request handled by our ServletHost
>
> The good news is that supporting that only involves a few little
> tweaks to our usual runtime node startup sequence.
>
> I'm planning to share that experiment with the community for review there:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/sandbox/sebastien/java/vhost/
>
> and hoping to help generate ideas to better address this type of use case.
>
> I'm really busy at work this week but will try to commit this code
> when I find some time over the weekend.
> --
> Jean-Sebastien

I've committed a few prototypical utility functions to help bootstrap
a runtime, deploy a contribution, build it, activate and start its
components.

The idea is that they could be used instead of NodeFactory and
Node.start to prepare the Composite model and a CompositeContext for a
particular app or virtual host and only activate and start its
components when a request hits them.

For details see SVN revision r1078641 [1], this change in
EmbedTestCase.java [2]:
-        node = node(nf, deploy(contrib, comp));
-        node.start();
+        cc = start(activate(build(deploy(contrib, comp), ec), ec), ec);

and EmbedUtil.java [3] for the new bootstrapping functions.

Hope this helps

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1078641
[2]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tuscany/sandbox/sebastien/java/vhost/samples/extending-tuscany/implementation-sample/src/test/java/sample/impl/EmbedTestCase.java