Hi Jean,

Please see my comments in line.

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <
jsdelf...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 9:02 AM, Nirmal Fernando <nirmal070...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Jean,
> >
> > On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino
> > <jsdelf...@apache.org> wrote:

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-3496?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=13030511#comment-13030511

> learn
> >> >

> >> Sounds good.
> >>
> >> I think it'd be interesting to try to generate the same diagram using
> >> Batik, Graphviz, and 'nothing' (just print SVG directly in your code),
> >> and then compare the three programs. There may be other options out
> >> there too, but I'm suggesting to try the 'nothing' approach, as in my
> >> experience SVG is easy enough to print without a complex object model
> >> like Batik's.
> >
> > Don't you think that 'nothing' approach would need some significant work
> on
> > finding/implementing a
> > layout building algorithm? If Graphviz implementation succeed, I am not
> sure
> > whether it is worth to put an effort on 'nothing' approach.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> I think the best way to know is to try. I didn't mean spending a lot
> of time investigating the 'nothing' approach. Just enough to decide if
> it's worth doing, or if it can be eliminated without a doubt... but
> based on concrete data.
>
> I think there's different aspects in what you're trying to do:
> a) walk an SCDL model and transforming it to a model from which you
> can derive a layout easily
> b) compute the layout of the composite diagram
> c) generate SVG for that layout
> d) allow a user to navigate it, zoom etc
>
> My guess is that Graphviz and Batik won't help with (a), may help with
> (b), are probably over complicated for (c), and I don't know if they
> can help or instead get in the way for (d).

I am experimenting with graphViz and it appears to be used for our tool.
Will update you soon, about my conclusions on using graphViz.

> The 'nothing' approach wouldn't change the situation for (a), would
> require you to think hard and craft some algorithms for (b), and
> wouldn't get in your way for (c) and (d).

True, depending on how graphViz reacts this approach will be considered.

> Another way to ask the question is: What if you spend time to master
> Graphviz (1.6Mb) and Batik (1657 classes, 8Mb) and build something
> nice with them, and then somebody else just tries without these big
> dependencies, at the expense of some hard (but interesting) work to
> craft and tune the necessary algorithms, and produces a similar result
> with a few pages of lightweight code? Which one will be more
> successful?

Reusing is good other than building one from scratch not knowing what will
be the outcome,
don't you think?

> But again we won't know if that's possible without trying... If you're
> already comfortable with Graphviz and Batik, I don't want to derail
> your progress, it's really up to you to decide which way you prefer to
> go here :)

Thanks, I will update on how my journey with GraphViz goes. :)

--
Best Regards,
Nirmal

C.S.Nirmal J. Fernando