How should the databinding be configured for a non-JAXB Java bean?

Currently in 2.x I'm seeing that the data type that gets generated
does have a databinding set to java:complexType but the logical type
is set to the default XMLType, i.e. it has a null element name and a
null XSD type. In the DefaultDataBindingExtensionPoint I seem the
following code and comment:

    public boolean introspectType(DataType dataType, Operation operation) {
        loadDataBindings();
        for (DataBinding binding : databindings) {
            // don't introspect for JavaBeansDatabinding as all javatypes will
            // anyways match to its basetype
            // which is java.lang.Object. Default to this only if no databinding
            // results
            if (!binding.getName().equals(JavaBeansDataBinding.NAME)) {
                if (binding.introspect(dataType, operation)) {
                    return true;
                }
            }
        }

It's not clear what the default databinding should be set to in the
case of a Java bean. xsd:any? This is currently causes the properties
itest to fail a it complains about missing types in the model. I'll
take a look and see what we did in 1.x as I believe the properties
test ran clean there but if anyone knows then that would be useful

Regards

Simon