On 5/18/2010 17:03, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> Thilo Götz wrote:
>> FYI, here's how you can create a list of all available text
>> encodings in the JVM you're running in.  This can lead to a
>> very long combo box, though :-)
>>
>>     Map<String, Charset> charsetMap = Charset.availableCharsets();
>>

> Actually I tried this first, but got a very long list of encodings.
> Then I decided to do it like th eclipse guys in the "Properties ->
> Resource"
> dialog, they only display the Java standard encodings, and its possible
> to type in any supported encoding.
>
> Do you think we should just display all encodings (maybe plus aliases) ?
>
> Jörn

That's a matter of taste.  It's true that it's a very long
list, and most of them are never used by anyone.  On the
other hand, if you *are* using one of the rarer ones, and
you have to type it in every time, that's also annoying.

So I didn't mean to push you in that direction, I just
didn't know if you were aware of the alternative.  As you
have obviously thought about it, I would just leave it
and see what our users say.

--Thilo