re: remove the need for the snapshot iterators then?

Yes, mostly.  There's one other use for those iterators, I think - they can in
unusual circumstances, speed things up (but mostly, they slow things down a
little). The speed up happens if you're doing a fully sorted index with lots of
subtypes interleaved and do multiple moves forwards and backwards.  The snapshot
"flattens" the interleaved nature (if I remember correctly), and then the
forwards and backwards movement occurs more efficiently, without "rattling" the
multiple iterators (one per type) as they interleave.

-Marshall