The reasons for this are primarily historical at this point.  I
believe the original motivation was to make it easy to update the
public site by just doing svn update.

At this point, i guess i'm +0.1 on removing the generated
documentation from version control in this version.  Once we have
velocity.apache.org up and a totally different way of building the
site, then i'll be +1.