Thanks, Henning.  I'll review this.  This has gotten insanely complicated.
I read the (outdated) wiki docs, looked at the tools and engine release and
still got some stuff wrong.  When in double I followed the Tools format for
URL's and the like but apparently that's not all correct either.  I thought
Maven was supposed to simplify things?

It's a hassle that the POM's were wrong in the released file.   What's the
practical import of this?

WILL

On 4/29/07, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"Will Glass-Husain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>(1) How do I get the site to build for
>http://velocity.apache.org/engine/releases/anakia-1.0/

This is what I would have done: (shown for anakia, same for texen)

- create a release branch: branches/anakia-1.0 (has been done)
(BTW: Can we get an uniform capitalization policy here? All ups, all
  downs, use '-' or '_' etc....)

- update the pom.xml file:

  <packaging>jar</packaging>

  <url>http://velocity.apache.org/anakia/releases/anakia-1.0</url>
  <scm>
    <connection>scm:svn:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/anakia/tags/anakia-1.0
</connection>
    <developerConnection>scm:svn:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/anakia/tags/anakia-1.0
</developerConnection>
    <tag>anakia-1.0</tag>
    <url> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/velocity/anakia/tags/anakia-1.0
</url>
  </scm>

  <distributionManagement>
    <site>

<url>scpexe://people.apache.org/www/velocity.apache.org/anakia/releases/anakia-
1.0</url>

  Also update the <filter> field for the maven-changes-plugin

  The patched POMs for texen and anakia are on

velocity.zones:~velocity/deploy/releases/velocity-anakia-1.0-site/pom.xml
  and ~velocity/deploy/releases/velocity-texen-1.0-site/pom.xml. These are
  the poms that also went up to the maven-2 repo. We probably want to
  streamline this process further.

- roll the tarball from that branch

- vote on that tarball (else the files inside the tarball would contain
the wrong URLs)

- if voted, copy the branch to the tag

- release the tarball.

We botched that part, the released jars contain a wrong pom with the
devel links. As I am probably the only one that would have looked at
this, I am guilty of neglecting oversight here. :-/ We could discuss
whether this is a brown-paperbag bug and fire an anakia/texen 1.0.1
bug fix release with fixed POMs.

- Update the site through velocity.zones.apache.org by building a
short script similar to the development site scripts (see
http://wiki.apache.org/velocity/RebuildSites).

I have added scripts to the ~velocity/bin directory and deployed the
sites.

Please *DO NOT* just copy the devel sites over:

  - The navigation links will be wrong (the releases are one menu level
deeper)
  - The various links in the project documentation will be wrong (e.g.
trunk
    instead of the tag)

- Please also link <projname>/releases/<projname>-<releaseversion> on the
main
site, not just <projname>/releases/<releaseversion>. I fixed this.

>(2) Per the (somewhat out of date) instructions on the Wiki, I uploaded
>the apache distro location and to the maven distro.  Do I also need to
>upload the files to archive.apache.org ?

Nope, that happens automatically.
http://archive.apache.org/dist/velocity/anakia/1.0/ has already picked it
up.

What was still missing is distributing it to the maven-2 repository.
I just ran this for texen and anakia, they should be picked up by
repo1.maven.org soon.

This is done using

mvn -Dfile=anakia-1.0.jar \
   -Drepository.id=apache.releases \
   -DpomFile=pom.xml \

-Durl=scpexe://people.apache.org/www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository
\
   deploy:deploy-file

which is a bit sucky, but as we do not build using maven-2, we must
deploy the file by hand. It is also sensible to compare the checksums
in the maven repo. e.g.

http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository/org/apache/anakia/anakia/1.0/anakia-1.0.jar.md5with
http://www.apache.org/dist/velocity/anakia/1.0/anakia-1.0.jar.md5

(similar for SHA1 and texen).

If they are not the same, something went wrong! We do not want to
distribute different jars through maven and through dist!

I feel a bit guilty here for not documenting the release process
better; for a non-maven-2 user it probably still is a bit quirky.

       Best regards
               Henning

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] | J2EE,
Linux,               |gls

|m k
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fuerth, HRB
7350     |a s
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Buckenhof. Geschaeftsfuehrer: Henning
Schmiedehausen |n

              "Save the cheerleader. Save the world."