unfortunately there's no tooling for policy enforcement in the repo
and we are force to deal with issues like this after things are
deployed and before they get propagated to the mirrors. It's not the
best solution, but is the only one right now.
And I'm trying to solve future problems based on past experiences.

The m1 and m2 repos are automatically converted to each other, so you
only need to deploy to one of them.

Policies are the same, you can use old groupIds or use new ones under
org.apache.*

You can put under m1 repo org.apache.velocity groupid, no problem with
that. For convenience people usually deploy with ant or m1 to the m1
repo and with m2 to the m2 repo.

Another different issue is the group naming convention, for me it'd
make sense that anakia and texen were under org.apache.velocity.*
based on my experience and considering the explosion of groups that
could happen if all subprojects start using top level groupIds. AFAIK
there's no policy about this, so that's just my suggestion.

What it is a policy is that all releases must be PGP signed, and also
you have to remove the repositories/repository entry
"http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository"; from the
poms as it's internal use only.

Sorry for the trouble. For me it'd be also easier to forget about it,
but in the long term this is going to save problems.