What I suggest is to avoid merging since every important change has been
ported to 2.x.

So what I would do is:

$ svn mv -m "create 1.x branch"
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/tools/trunk
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/tools/branches/1.x

$ svn mv -m "2.x becomes trunk"
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/tools/branches/2.x
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/tools/trunk

and that's it !

Every 2.x local working copy must then be switched using :

$ svn switch https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/tools/trunk

at its root, and the same goes for old trunk ones.

If you think that merging is important, you can always try it on a local
checkout to see how it goes (but with several ports and backports I'm
sure there will be many conflicts) like this:

$ svn merge -r511918:HEAD
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/tools/branches/2.x

(it won't affect the repository). But I'm pretty sure it's useless.

  Claude