Nathan Bubna wrote:

 #callBlock(collapsibleSection {"isCollapsed":$collapsed, "title":"My
 Section"})
  My section content.....
 #end

 Where your collapsibleSection.vm file could look like this:

 #if($args.open)
  #content()
 #end
 #end

 Where the #content() directive will just render the body of the
 callBlock directive - in this case " My section content.....".

these look like a great improvements on #parse.

 So have a look at the attached code, if you have similar problems with
 macros - it is quite short and should be easy to understand.
 Maybe something like this should be added for the 1.6 version - or the
 whole macro concept could be converted to a solution like that - leaving
 the existing syntax intact.

i'm totally interested.  no time to look at the code today, but i
would love to have something like #parse but with a little more
control over the variables/namespace.

 Best regards,

 Guido Deinhammer

 Btw: we have also added another cool directive that allows partial page
 rendering...but I didn't have time to write it up yet...

interesting. seems like new ideas are starting to pop up. :)

<LOL>

Nathan, these aren't new ideas. Basically, all of these things have been implemented in FreeMarker for 5, even 6 years. Okay, I grant that you could say they are "new" insofar as they would be new in Velocity. But still, it seems to me that, if you're serious about doing work in some application space, there has to be some notion of an existing state of the art, and you can't be referring to things that are longstanding features in other tools in the space as "new ideas". It's like as if I wrote a vanilla text editor, and then started saying that something like syntax highlighting was an exciting new feature. Well, I suppose it would be if you never looked at a state of the art programmer's editor....

i have
one i'm excited about, but i'm not quite ready to put it out there for
community vetting.

Gee, I wonder which of the things on this page that might be....

http://freemarker.org/features.html

in any case, if we can't work some of these new ideas into 1.6 proper,
it would be great to at least get them in 1.6's whiteboard at a very
minimum to make it easier for people to start playing with them.

Well, yeah, but I think it's fair comment to say that people in our user community are not "playing with" these "new ideas". They simply use them, in production code and so on, at this stage, things like macro invocations with associated blocks, and default and unordered parameter lists and so on, are longstanding features that have been there in a stable form for 5 years or more.

Jonathan Revusky

Velocity or FreeMarker: Looking at 5 Years of Practical Experience
http://freemarker.blogspot.com/2007/12/velocity-of-freemarker-looking-at-5.html