Tuesday, March 11, 2008, 12:27:00 AM, Jonathan Revusky wrote:

[snip]
> Now, I'm not saying that we've reached this point because I occasionally
> speak my mind on this forum. But OTOH, I don't think you have much
> evidence that it is ineffective. There is not much evidence either which
> way on that.
[snip]

As always, you are mistaken in this question. As far as the number of
FM users is concerned, or the prosperity of the FM project in general,
I'm sure your activity on this list surely has a negative effect. That
in general it's hard to be popular if you make negative statements is
one thing (psychology...), but that's the unavoidable part. That local
Velocity personal will react with some obvious waffle to any real
critic is also unavoidable. What other choice do they have after all.
However, going into endless flame wars, with subject like "STOP LYING,
ADRIAN" is silly. You see, after a few mails, who cares about
who-said-what? Nobody will follow, so it's just annoys everyone, and
no mater what, I repeat, no mater what, you will be the culprit,
because the thing has escalated around you. It's programming the
Jonathan => Mess association into the brain of readers, and nobody
likes mess. Strong language is also something that most IT people will
unconditionally refuse when said in public, together with the guy who
said it (out of a kind of snobbism/subconscious-hypocritism anyway).
Also, doing too much of FM plugs counts as aggressive behavior, and
thus that's repulsive as well, regardless of the alleged helpfulness
and correctness of the plug. I'm surely don't known me from being nice
and PC, so I hope it has some credibility if I'm saying these. And if
you have any reactions to this, rather do it in private. I'm out of
this thread.

--
Best regards,
 Daniel Dekany