On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 4:19 AM, Claude Brisson <cla...@renegat.net> wrote:
> On 2011-04-13 11:57, Antonio Petrelli wrote:
>>
>> Hi Claude
>>
>> 2011/4/13 Claude Brisson<cla...@renegat.net>
>
> Then I'd vote for the first solution: have tools-2.1 require engine-2.x once
> it's released. After all, we can backport important changes to tools-2.0.x.

I agree.  At this point, tools is evolving slowly, and what time i do
have to develop velocity will be largely spent on engine 2.  I think
it is fine to release fixes to Tools in the 2.0.x branch and have 2.1
be where we drop support for both Tools 1 config and Engine 1.

It is great that we have worked so hard in the past for backward
compatibility.  But with Engine 2, i think we need to start letting go
of that at the API level (VTL from 1.x era should still work, though).
  So, i don't think it is really sustainable to burden Tools 2.1 with
the task of staying compatible with both the API of Engine 1 and
Engine 2.