I decided to do a little bit of investigation into my whitespace
regression issue, and checked out the velocity project to build it
from source.

svn checkout https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/engine/trunk
velocity-engine-parent

Some observations:

1) The readme.txt file in the distribution still talks about building with ant.

2) The build instructions on the web site [1] still talk about
changing your working directory to "build", which doesn't exist.

3) "mvn install" from the root directory generates this error.  I'm a
maven novice, so I can't do much more than report errors with maven.
This was with maven 3.0.3 under java 1.6

[ERROR]   The project
org.apache.velocity:velocity-engine-parent:2.0.0-SNAPSHOT
(/home/[...]/velocity-engine-parent/pom.xml) has 1 error
[ERROR]     Non-resolvable parent POM: Could not find artifact
org.apache.velocity:velocity-master:pom:2-SNAPSHOT and
'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM @ line 25, column 13
-> [Help 2]

[1] http://velocity.apache.org/engine/devel/build.html

So I decided to go back and try the 1.6.x branch instead.

svn checkout https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/engine/branches/1.6.x/

This time "mvn install" from the build directory works, but we fail on
the tests.  It looks like maybe I need to do something to specify a
@test.dir@ value?  Again, no hablo maven.

Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.003
sec <<< FAILURE!
Running org.apache.velocity.test.TemplateTestCase
Cannot setup TemplateTestSuite!
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
@test.dir@/templates/templates.properties (No such file or directory)

I know enough to skip all tests, and that works, but I don't know
enough to skip just a single test.  I tried a few things that didn't
work based on results from google searches:

mvn -Dtest.excludes="**/TemplateTestCase.java" install

mvn -Dvelocity.test.excludes="**/TemplateTestCase.java" install

mvn -Dorg.apache.velocity.test.excludes="**/TemplateTestCase.java" install