Am 2020-02-02 um 07:14 schrieb Henning Schmiedehausen:
Hi Claude,

thank you so much for all the work that went into this RC. I will give you
a +0.5 (as there are already three +1, I don't want to hold up the release)

- builds and passes tests on MacOS running java 8 (OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM
(AdoptOpenJDK)(build 25.222-b10, mixed mode))
- build fails on MacOS running java 11 with three failed tests (OpenJDK
64-Bit Server VM AdoptOpenJDK (build 11.0.5+10, mixed mode))
- number of deprecation warnings (lang3, some additional warnings about JDK
deprecations for Java 11)

Given that 14 (the next LTS) is just around the corner and Java 8 is
getting on in age (I applaud that 2.x is Java 8+ only), having a release
next that focuses on the future (build on 11, maybe even on 14 preview) may
be a good thing.

That's wrong. 14 isn't LTS, 17 is. Java 8 will love for another 5 years. I don't see a reason to drop it. I'd take Velocity 3.0 as a change to perform a major cleanup which has been overdue for at least 5 years.