From: Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Date: Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 7:21 AM
Subject: Official releases vs unreleased code
To: <gene...@incubator.apache.org>

Hi,

Over the last few months I’ve run into 1/2 dozen podlings who are
making and promoting releases to the wider community that contain
unreleased code, and I’m a little surprised that they were unaware
that this is not allowed. This also has come up in feedback received
from the exit questionnaire.

In the release policy [3] it clearly states:
"Projects MUST direct outsiders towards official releases rather than
raw source repositories, nightly builds, snapshots, release
candidates, or any other similar packages.”

This has been discussed many times but these two legal JIRAs [1][2]
spell it out quite clearly. And while these tickets refer to docker
the same applies to any distribution mechanism.

In short “It is appropriate to distribute official releases through
downstream channels, but inappropriate to distribute unreleased
materials through them.”

So if your projects is using docker, PiPY, GitHub releases, npm or any
other ways of distribution please make sure that the wider community
is only pointed at official release and the best way to do this is not
to publish unreleased code on those platforms. Ask yourself is someone
outside of the project likely to use this and if the answer is yes
then reconsider how you are using that distribution channel and make
sure it only contains official releases.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-270
2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-427