What part of the release policy are you specifically referring to?

The main distribution mechanism for Apache Cordova is npm, which
command is mentioned in the "Get started" [1] part of the homepage and
installations instructions [2] of the documentation. Using the source
code is just a fallback, which the "Source Distribution" link probably
takes care of. I am not aware of any complaints from Apache regarding
this to Apache Cordova. The main usage type for users is front and
center, the source code still is available if needed - so I wouldn't
know why this should not be fine.

-J

[1] https://cordova.apache.org/#getstarted
[2] https://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/latest/guide/cli/index.html