On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Chris Lambertus <c...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Whimsy,
>
> I’m proposing in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13850 that we
> implement the Title field in LDAP. This would require some tooling changes
> that would involve Secretary, possibly whimsy code, and infra mods to the
> ap-adduser scripts and other tools that manage and process
> new-account-reqs.txt.
>
> Any thoughts on this change and what would need to be touched to make this
> happen?

Related:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/0c78dee2654469db7ec5873974570dbd26e37ad1b7c5497817f69112@%3Cdev.whimsical.apache.org%3E

It looks like we new fields: givenName and title.  And a number of
existing fields, including cn and entries in iclas.txt (which includes
separate entries for public and full names).

---

Overall, we should be moving in the direction of having the person
themselves proving (or at least verifying) their name during the
initial account creation process.  Prerequisites to a new account are
an ICLA and an invite, and these can happen in either order, so there
are two paths.

Once created, we need to nail down the responsibility for updating
names.  Given that names change infrequently and at least one copy
(iclas.txt) isn't updateable by users themselves, this responsibility
should go to the secretary (Craig, please confirm?), and the necessary
tooling needs to be in place to allow the secretarial team to do so.

---

The format of a new-account-request isn't flexible, but is workable
(I'd prefer JSON or YAML, but adding still more fields at the end is
probably easier):

https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/acreq/new-account-reqs.txt

If this changes, three (and possibly four) tools will need to be updated:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/tools/new-account-reqs.py
https://whimsy.apache.org/officers/acreq
https://whimsy.apache.org/secmail/

and possibly:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/tools/updateiclas.py

---

The secretarial team already can update cn and givenName; and I
presume that we will be allowed to update title too when it is added.

There is a tool for detecting mismatches between iclas.txt and LDAP;
but given that givenName and title aren't in iclas.txt, that is not
likely to be affected.

What I would like to see as the preferred interface for the secretary
to use to update names is the roster tool:

https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/committer/

This tool already will update LDAP and iclas.txt.

> -Chris

- Sam Ruby