The '.' is legal where it's being used, the problem appears to be that
some JavaScript libraries don't correctly parse it but instead do
something different.

  On the one hand, this is just the autogenerated ids, as far as we
can see at the moment, it's a 'safe' fix and (I think) anyone relying
on the old behaviour has other options/is taking a risk, while on the
other, it's adding 'magic' to work around third-party bugs.

/Gwyn

On Thursday, September 27, 2007, 9:58:47 AM, Johan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> we shouldn't generate illegal id's no matter what a developer gives us as
> there componentid
> or is that already taken care off? (before this change?)

> So you keep the change on my end if that also fixes the really illegal stuff
> anyway

> johan

> On 9/26/07, Ryan Holmes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> At Igor's request, I'm asking for a vote on https://issues.apache.org/
>> jira/browse/WICKET-995
>>
>> The issue has already been fixed, but reopened due to questions and
>> some opinions against the change. I think the comments on the issue
>> provide enough background, so here are the choices:
>>
>> [ ] 1) Keep the change. It provides friendlier HTML id's by
>> eliminating '.' characters and it's perfectly safe.
>> [ ] 2) Revert the change. It's not a bug and the "magic" behavior is
>> unnecessary and/or dangerous.
>>

>> -Ryan

/Gwyn