I know this is off topic, but have the devs looked at / considered using
this maven plugin before?

http://mathieu.carbou.free.fr/p/maven-license-plugin/plugin-info.html

I use it on all of my projects - it will automatically add the license to
files that don't have it / update ones that have an out-of-date / wrong
license header.  You can also configure it into the "test" target in maven
so that the build will fail if files don't have the license.

Here's an example of a small wicketstuff project I had started that uses it
in the pom:
https://wicket-stuff.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wicket-stuff/trunk/wicketstuff-client-and-server-validation/pom.xml

--
Jeremy Thomerson