On Thu, 19 Feb 2009, Adib Saikali wrote:
> I just starting a brand new project and betting the project on wicket. So
> the choice I am trying to make is to go with 1.4 or 1.3. I am leaning
> towards 1.4 since I am just starting development on this project and don't
> want to have to migrate code later. I have a few questions about the Wicket
> Roadmap for the developers.

Yeah, 1.4-SNAPSHOT or 1.4-rc2 would be the best for a new
project at the moment. While the project is in active
development using a snapshot will make keeping up-to-date
easiest, but for deployments it's normally better to get a
fixed version.

> 1) The wicket examples that ship in the 1.4rc2 are not generified so there
> are tons of warnings and of course I am looking for guidance as to how to
> use the generified wicket. Will these examples be generified before the 1.4
> is released?

Let's hope so. Your help in form of patches is most welcome :)

> 2) There have been lots of discussions on the mailing list about generics,
> and the generics wiki page has a summary of some of the issues. However I am
> not clear what decisions have been made about wicket and generics for 1.4
> and what the plan beyond 1.4. I am not interested in starting a debate about
> wicket and generics. I hope that one of the committers would be kind enough
> to layout a summary of the current state of generics with 1.4 and what the
> plan is beyond 1.4.

All IModel have a type parameter (are generified), and some
selected components (Form, FormComponent, Link, repeaters,
...). These selected components provide correctly typed
get/setModel and get/setModelObject, and the rest just
wildcard-typed get/setDefaultModel and
get/setDefaultModelObject.

This is the situation in 1.4, and for now there is no
visible good solution of changing it later.

> 3) On the wicket roadmap where does 1.4 fit? On the wiki and in other places
> I have seen comments along the line of wicket 1.5 will get generics right so
> 1.4 is some of kind of transitory release and it will be thrown away once
> the things move on to 1.5? Am I getting the right impression about the 1.4
> release.

No, 1.3 is the one that will be thrown away :) When 1.4 is
final, it will become the maintenance branch (like 1.3.x
now) and trunk will be 1.5. The incentive here is to only
have to support two versions at any time.

Best wishes,
Timo

--
Timo Rantalaiho