Spring-JavaScript (a submodule of Spring WebFlow) used a modular approach,
in which you could (in theory, at least) provide multiple implementations of
a javascript API (
http://static.springsource.org/spring-webflow/docs/2.0.x/reference/html/ch11s03.html
).

You'd import the underlying library (dojo.js), the high-level library API
(spring.js), and then the implementation of the low-level API, used by the
high-level library (spring-dojo.js).

I say in theory because they have a Dojo implementation, but never bothered
to provide other implementations (
https://jira.springsource.org/browse/SWF-1288)...

Ah, one more item in the wishlist is the possibility of joining the many
js/css resources in one big file. I think it's very hard/impossible to do it
transparently (due the high granularity), but should be relatively easy if
it required fine-tunning of the app (for example, registering all js/css
resources to be joined/omitted in some application-wide setting).

Tetsuo