Hi,

See https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WICKET/Page+Storage
Wicket serializes the used stateful pages in the disk for eventual
later usage, for example your user clicks the browser back button.
I'm not sure how this effects the performance though. The writing to
the disk is done in a separate thread.
You can disable it if you want by replacing one of
IPageManager/IPageStore/IDataStore impls.