Hi,
As I already mentioned the other day I was porting some changes from master branch to the wicket-6.x branch (http://apache-wicket.1842946.n4.nabble.com/wicketstuff-Need-help-with-cherry-picking-td4670615.html) and had some trouble doing so, since Git was not able to cherry-pick my changes due to a different folder structure. Since this was really a pain in the neck (and quite erroneous) I would like to know if we cannot get rid of the distinction between different JDK versions in the folder structure.

At the moment all projects on the master branch are located in the jdk-1.7-parent folder (since no project requires Java 8 yet, the jdk-1.8-parent folder is empty). Most of those projects reside in the jdk-1.6-parent folder on the wicket-6.x branch, making it impossible to simply downport changes via cherry-picking. Only difference between the POMs in those folders are the source- and target-level for the Maven compiler plugin.

Can't we just put everything in one folder and override source- and target-level in the project specific POM if a project needs a higher version than the default one? The only drawback I see at the moment is the fact, that you cannot recognize at a first glance if a project needs a higher Java version. Or do I overlook here something?

To be honest: I don't know if I would downport bigger changes on a project when myself only needs those changes on the master branch (since I'm already using Wicket 1.7) and downporting is such a hassle.

Joachim