Hi Azeez,

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Afkham Azeez <az...@wso2.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM, Supun Kamburugamuva
> <supu...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> In general I think having two ways of configuration is a mistake. Having
>> that kind of a model confuses users and make the life harder for developers
>> as well. Also it means we haven't figured out the correct places for
>> correct configuration as well. If there are two ways of configurations they
>> should be synched. For example if both carbon.xml and UI are allowed, a
>> change done in UI should be reflected in carbon.xml and vise versa.
>

> Which makes things very messy! :) We just need to keep this simple,
> identify the roles people play, and then decide what to have in the UI and
> what to have in the config files. It is a myth that UIs are more user
> friendly and config files are not. Depending on the situation &
> requirement, UIs or config files should be chosen. We have gained a lot of
> experience in managing Carbon production deployments through running
> StratosLive production clusters, and now have quite a good idea where each
> have their uses. Clearly, our techops team will never use the UIs to
> configure SLive, so that gives a good indication of how other techops &
> admin teams will configure our servers.

True. And that's why we don't include the deployment sync FE components in
any of the Stratos packs.

Our unique architecture allows users to mix and match stuff to meet their
functionality and usability requirements. So why not provide a UI where
possible? Different people have different attitudes towards software and
user experience. While some are quite happy to edit raw XML files, some are
not. Our architecture can easily support both categories.

Thanks,
Hiranya