Hi Samisa,

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Samisa Abeysinghe <sam...@wso2.com> wrote:

> And there is more into this: https://wso2.org/jira/browse/CARBON-13968
>
> Regarding the above jira about having category metadata in the installed
features list;

As per current implementation of Carbon P2 categorization using Eclipse P2
Category Publisher, we cannot maintain the categories in the installed
features.
Category is a logical grouping mechanism used to organize features in an
existing p2-repo, by adding extra metadata about categories to the repo.
What's installable in a category is the list of child features under the
category. The category doesn't get installed, so after installing the list
of child features under a category, the category metadata is lost and what
we have in the installation is a flat set of features. Therefore with the
current implementation of p2-categorization in the repository, we cannot
persist category metadata in our installation.

However as a work-around, if we consider a category as another feature and
have it also installed with it's child features we can persist
categorization in the installed feature list. I have asked p2-dev guys
about such mechanisms to maintain category metadata after a feature
installation. Will work on it.

Thanks,
Dileepa