Hi
When I read your description and code segments [2] what I understood was
you are having a problem with referring to a separate js file from a html
page. When I read the [1] and exception trace what I understood was when
you referred to an external js file you are having some troubles calling
the java method. However assuming latter is the case, may be changing the
order of your js imports will help.
BTW jaggery facilitates the same thing you are trying to achieve here.
Can't you use jaggery for your implementation?

Thanks & Regards
Danushka Fernando
Software Engineer
WSO2 inc. http://wso2.com/