HostName is not the machine name but the name you use to send the request
to. So, in your case, HostName's value should be apps.example.com

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 6:45 AM, Thilina Piyasundara <thili...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm bit confused with this option in carbon.xml.
>
>     <!--
>        *Host name or IP address of the machine hosting this server*
>        e.g. www.wso2.org, 192.168.1.10
>        This is will become part of the End Point Reference of the
>        services deployed on this server instance.
>     -->
>     <!--HostName>www.wso2.org</HostName-->
>
>     <!--
>     Host name to be used for the Carbon management console
>     -->
>     <!--MgtHostName>mgt.wso2.org</MgtHostName-->
>

> Think I'm going to host a webapp on 2 wso2 appservers fronted by an nginx
> revers proxy. There are three servers;
>
> Nginx server
> 54.23.12.34     apps.example.com        (Public IP and Public DNS name)
> 192.168.100.1 lb01.mydatacenter.local
>
> App servers 01
> 192.168.100.21 as01.mydatacenter.local
>
> App servers 02
> 192.168.100.22 as02.mydatacenter.local
>
> *According to the comment in the carbon.xml;*
>
> in AS01 I will use;
> <HostName>*as01.mydatacenter.local*</HostName>
>
> and in AS02 I will use;
> <HostName>*as02.mydatacenter.local*</HostName>
>
> I will forward http/s traffic for 'apps.example.com' to both AS01 and
> AS02 on 9443/9763.
> (With enabled 'proxyPort's options in catalina-server.xml too.)
>
> when I access 'apps.example.com/<something>' via a web browser sometime
> it redirects to URLs like;
> as01.mydatacenter.local/<something> or as02.mydatacenter.local/<something>
> randomly.
>
> 1. Do we need this option? (By default its commented)
> 2. If needed, what is the correct way of doing this?
> 3. Any documentations on usage of this?
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Thilina Piyasundara
> Systems Engineer
> ​
> ​
> M: 071-775-0006
> ​
> ​
> Blog: thilina.piyasundara.org
> Linkedin: linkedin.com/in/thilinapiyasundara
>
> WSO2, Inc.
> ​
> ​ <http://wso2.com/>
> lean . enterprise . middleware
> https://cloud.wso2.com

Thanks & regards,
Nirmal

Senior Software Engineer- Platform Technologies Team, WSO2 Inc.
Mobile: +94715779733
Blog: http://nirmalfdo.blogspot.com/