Hi Nirmal,

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 4:37 PM, Nirmal Fernando <nir...@wso2.com> wrote:

> My opinion is we shouldn't enable it by default. My understanding is
> profiling affects the performance of a JVM.

With Carbon Metrics, we collect metrics via Java API calls and not via
direct profiling.

We use Coda Hale's (Dropwizard) Metrics library and there is no known
performance issues with it.

See following threads in metrics-user group:
"Overhead of collecting performance stats and publishing in JMX"
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/metrics-user/CHk14cMmLsM/HXsZUDSZdMcJ
"metrics performance"
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/metrics-user/fb-hy6TQJ9g/6AQ1NMUlllEJ

One concern would be periodic reporting to database by the JDBC reporter we
developed. It runs in a scheduled executor and I guess it shouldn't have
much impact on the server. We will be doing performance tests with MB and
we can confirm whether there is an overhead with Metrics.

Thanks!

--
Isuru Perera
Associate Technical Lead | WSO2, Inc. | http://wso2.com/