IMO its better to start with profiles. Removing the unnecessary webapps
from the relevant profiles would still have to be done since profiles do
not take care of their removal.

When I went through the mail thread at [2] I got the impression that you
got it resolved. And I didn't see anything related to profiles in there.

Thanks,
NuwanD.

--
Nuwan Dias