Hi All,

In IoTServer and EMM, we noticed that resources owned by a user will become
orphaned once particular user is deleted from the system. If someone
created a user with same username again, above orphaned resources will get
assigned to newly created user, since both users have same user name[1].

Anyway I believe, this shouldn't happen in the system since, it will lead
to orphaned resources or allow two different people to have the same
identity.

Solutions:

1. Use the user delete workflow[2] to get user delete event and allocate
resources from user being deleted to other user or admin. Also if required
resources can be deleted or left as it is to be associated with future user
who will have the same name. However this BP is bit complex and need
additional specific implementations to filter resources and apply necessary
actions.

2. Use status claim of user to indicate whether user is inactive instead of
deleting user from the system. As long as user is not actually deleted from
the system, there is no any possibility to have same user name for another
user. Also it is involved with less implementation complexity and it is
good in the sense of maintaining past statistics and historic artifacts
within the system.

However with above solutions, there is no way to identify if user was
removed from external user store, without going through the carbon console
or user management portal in IoTServer or EMM web app.

I'm also wondering how APIM and APPM handle the same situation when user
get deleted. WDYT? Is there any better solution to eliminate above issue?
Your comments and thoughts are highly appreciated.

[1] https://wso2.org/jira/browse/IOTS-73
[2]
https://github.com/wso2/carbon-identity/blob/master/components/user-mgt/org.wso2.carbon.user.mgt.workflow/src/main/java/org/wso2/carbon/user/mgt/workflow/userstore/DeleteUserWFRequestHandler.java

Thanks & Regards,
/charithag
--
*Charitha Goonetilleke*
Software Engineer

mobile: +94 77 751 3669 <%2B94777513669>
Twitter:@CharithaWs <https://twitter.com/CharithaWs>, fb: charithag
<https://www.facebook.com/charithag>, linkedin: charithag
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/charithag>