Hi Samitha,

The basic idea of a security gateway is to build a server on top of the
WSO2 gateway core [1] framework which secures the applications on your
enterprise system. Here are the main features of the security gateway.

   - Securing your enterprise services from various attacks (XML threat
   protection, etc.)
   - Controlling the inward traffic to your services (Filtering, Throttling)
   - Provides security enforcement like OAuth2 to the services
   - Analytics/Reporting of threats on the system

You can clone the gateway source code and build it from the source and they
try out some simple message flow as a first step. You can find samples in
the same repository. Then you can study about various threats that modern
web applications are facing and come up with a project proposal which
covers the above mentioned main features and advanced threat protection
features.

Let us know if you need any help.

--
Thank you and Best Regards,