It actually depends on payload and complexity of queries. If your server
keeps hanging and resources are depleted when exposed to production traffic
then you need to scale. If you refer[1] you will get an idea about numbers.
See under storm scaling sheet. But to date we don't have any production
customers on Storm.

[1]
https://docs.google.com/a/wso2.com/spreadsheets/d/1TEjXPPClSqKg6n3EVq65U1w8Cpj0RrHRMX5CRUstZRY/edit?usp=sharing

Tishan