Hello all,

We have completed $subject as an improvement for user experience as follows,

We have enabled dynamic extension point generation in Developer Studio, we
retrieve the Specific display name from the product plugins when they
register their servers as given in the following example :

* <extension*
*        point="org.wso2.developerstudio.carbon.product.server.registry">*
*     <product.server*
*           carbon.server.version="carbon.server.40"*
*           server.display.name <http://server.display.name>="WSO2 ESB
Server 3.3">*
*     </product.server>*
*  <product.server*
*           carbon.server.version="carbon.server.40"*
*           server.display.name <http://server.display.name>="WSO2 CEP
Server 3.9">*
*     </product.server>*
*     <product.server*
*           carbon.server.version="carbon.server.42"*
*           server.display.name <http://server.display.name>="WSO2 ESB
Server 3.7">*
*     </product.server>    *
*      <product.server*
*           carbon.server.version="carbon.server.42"*
*           server.display.name <http://server.display.name>="WSO2 CEP
Server 3.0">*
*     </product.server>*
*     <product.server*
*           carbon.server.version="carbon.server.44"*
*           server.display.name <http://server.display.name>="WSO2 ESB
Server 3.0">*
*     </product.server>*
*      <product.server*
*           carbon.server.version="carbon.server.44"*
*           server.display.name <http://server.display.name>="WSO2 CEP
Server 3.2">*
*     </product.server>*
*  </extension>*

The product server can decide which versions of their servers they plan to
support from their tooling versions released.

*We will be removing the previous support we had for integrating servers
based on the carbon versions, hence it is mandatory that product teams
include these servers versions in their tooling plugins, in the plugin xml
as described above.*

Also note that the carbon.server.version should contain one of
carbon.server.40
carbon.server.42
carbon.server.44

as Developer Studio Kernel 4.1.0 we are only going to follow those carbon
versions, If you mention any String other than what is given the extension
point will be ignored by kernel.

Adopted Approach :

​

*@ Jasintha / Susinda/ Viraj :* Currently this server retrieval from
product plugins is bind to Developer Studio Dashboard opening action, since
we are accessing WSO2 servers from the dashboard. We need to configure this
in an Eclipse generic startup method if we are to display these servers in
show view -> servers option via eclipse menu.
Since eclipse discourages usage of early startups IMO it is OK to display
the servers only via the dashboard server option.

WDYT ?

[1] Associated Jira : https://wso2.org/jira/browse/DEVTOOLPFM-1

Awanthika Senarath
Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc.