On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 12:56 PM, Isuru Haththotuwa <isu...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is to discuss about $subject.
>
> By default Mesos-Marathon [1] does not have an overlay network. Therefore
> when deploying wso2 products in distributed/HA manner in mesos, the
> products are unable to create point to point TCP connections directly from
> container to container.
>
> In Carbon products, p2p connections are created by Hazelcast, within
> cluster members. Since this is just for communication purposes, its
> possible to do a workaround by querying the API for the IPs of the host
> machine. This is done in the Mesos membership scheme [2].
>
> There are few places where we need to create TCP Listeners, for an example
> in CEP HA/Distributed setup [3]. For this, we can't just bind to the host
> node IP since the public IP is not visible to the container; and can't use
> the local container IP since container to container communication is not
> possible (due to the lack of an overlay network).
>
> One possible option is such scenarios is to use the HOST networking mode
> of Docker [4]. Then the container will be using the host IP and ports
> directly. One issue with this approach is since we are mapping container
> ports to host ports directly without assigning random ports from the host
> side, only one container can run in one host node. But, in a way this
> defeats the purpose of containerization.

Using host mode would be a good alternative. I don't think limiting one
container per Mesos node (Mesos HOST=UNIQUE constrain) in this scenario
 since a HA Mesos deployment will have multiple Mesos nodes.
Another advantage of running in host mode is performance efficiency rather
than bridge mode. Network efficiency would be useful in thrift scenario
since it is assumed to be fast.

> Please share your thoughts on this.
>
> [1]. https://github.com/mesosphere/marathon
>
> [2].