Hi Jerad,

Please find my comments inline.

Cheers,
Sachith

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 10:57 PM, Jerad Rutnam <je...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi Sachith,
>
> Please see my comments below,
>
> Cheers!
>
> In the DS only scenarios yes, you might not need to use custom gadgets
>> often.
>> But in analytics scenarios, it's almost always the case to use custom
>> gadgets. And it is not a advanced developer scenario IMHO because we do not
>> create everything from the scratch. What we do is take a generic gadget and
>> change the internals(queries, pre-processing, handling pubsubs ...etc).
>>

> I believe above requirement covers by the "Generate Gadget" feature. But
> we need to improve it little more. As we explained in the earlier call,
> this feature needs some user experience improvements. This is just the
> first cut of the feature.
>
> Not exactly, there are customizations that we do which cannot be covered
by the generate gadget feature such as sorting, aggregation, grouping
...etc. These cannot be done at the generate gadget level because it's not
a simple Lucene query. To give you an example, having a subscription to a
dropdown box which would decide which column to group by and do the
aggregation on the given time range.
One reason being that all the rest API calls are not handled at the
generate gadget level + we cannot accommodate dynamic queries at the gadget
creation.
@Dunith might be able to provide some more insight if required.

And I'm always +1 for improvements ;)

>> In that case, what I would propose is to have is a generic gadget which
>> would pull the styling from the styling from the pack itself. Why I bought
>> this up is, since the current gadgets have their own styling, when we
>> change the packs, it stands out and IMO it should not be the case.
>>

>> That generic gadget would be the extension point to all the other custom
>> gadgets and it would retain backward/forward compatibility since it does
>> not have to worry about the styling. I feel that it's doable.
>>
>> Having this would considerably speed up the visualization development of
>> analytics for sure.
>>

> Correct me if i'm wrong, I believe you are referring to a blank gadget
> which has some basic styling included. If that is, I think we can add a
> blank gadget template without any issue. And +1 for that. That will make
> things more easier for gadget developers.

Yes, exactly. It would make it more simple for the gadget developers. But I
would like to raise one concern that we have right now with the current
"generic" gadget.

It does have the styling of the dashboard. But the moment you add a chart
to it (vizGrammar), it chart does not comply with the dashboard styling.
So I don't specifically know if adding a blank gadget would solve the
problem.

--
Sachith Withana
Software Engineer; WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com