On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 11:45 AM, Isuru Perera <isu...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I also don't keep all sources locally. For a Maven Dependency, I expect
> the sources jar in Maven Repository.
>
> Even in Carbon Kernel 4.x, I don't see source jars [1]. In Carbon 5.x, I
> see the sources [2].

That was because we have defined an older version of the
maven-source-plugin in 4.4.7. If we didn't explicitly mention this, then
there the version will be inherited from the already defined
maven-source-plugin in wso2 parent pom. That's a separate issue we need to
fix. @*Lakshman*, please remove the plugin definition from kernel parent
for the next release.

> My opinion is that we should have source jars always.

You already have the sources locally!

> It's same for Java Docs. We must make sure Java Docs is written properly
> and there are no warnings. Having the java doc plugin helps us to fix any
> issues with docs during the development time, rather than waiting to fix
> such issues whenever there is a release.

If has issues, then checkstyle complains to some extent. If you want to
verify javadocs, then, you can run maven-source-plugin:jar-no-fork goal and
generate the javadocs. There is no need to run it everytime.
Even for the compiler plugin, we have a incremental build plugin which
skips building already built modules.

Thanks,
KasunG