On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 4:36 PM, Ayesha Dissanayaka <aye...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi Johann,
>
> Thanks for the clarification.
>
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Johann Nallathamby <joh...@wso2.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Password based authentication - yes. Since we take in a password that has
>> very low probability of being the same of another user within the domain
>> for the same claim identifier, we can actually allow authentication with
>> any claim - doesn't necessarily have to be unique.
>>
> So, we can choose some claim as the identifier for password based
> authentication at a time as a configuration in the User Portal.

+1

>> However for recovery we must identify user uniquely and for that we need
>> to have a set of claims that identify the user uniquely within a domain.
>> Again can we use the attribute profile concept here?
>>

> Agreed that we use attribute profile based approach for username recovery.
> For password recovery do we need to follow that approach. Shouldn't this
> align with whatever the claim users use to authenticate to the system in
> password based authentication?
> for example, a system may choose to use email claim as login identifier.
> Then shouldn't we ask for the same identifier at password recovery of that
> system?

In that case if we use a claim which is not unique, it will be hard to
> identify the user for password recovery.

So seems there are two options.

1. Use single unique identifier for authentication and password recovery -
if not can't do password recovery
2. Use a profile - similar to username recovery. However authentication and
recovery may be using different claims.

For me option 2 looks good if possible. If the claims required is one then
it actually converges to option 1.

Regards,
Johann.

--
Thanks & Regards,

*Johann Dilantha Nallathamby*
Technical Lead & Product Lead of WSO2 Identity Server
Governance Technologies Team
WSO2, Inc.
lean.enterprise.middleware

Mobile - *+94777776950*