Hello everybody,

I am creating an interface to display the list of the current user tasks
waiting for approval. In this list, I display some information provided by
the variables inside the process instances. For example, it can be the id
of an object that I defined during the creation of the instance of the
process.

To retrieve the information for the list, I am using the REST API. But,
because I would like the user to be able to filter the list with criteria,
I am using the query endpoint for the tasks to be able to filter by the
values of the variables in the instances.

However, I have a problem because it seems that I have huge responsiveness
lag when I want the REST API to return the current state of the variables
of the instances. Actually, when I send a query request, it takes around 40
seconds for the server to respond, if it does not time out. The problem
disappears when I don't set the attribute to retrieve the list of the
variables in my query request.

For example, this one causes problems:

{
    "includeProcessVariables": true
    "variables": [
        {
            "name": "group",
            "operation": "equals",
            "value": "MyGroupName
        }
    ]
}

whereas this one causes no problems:
{
    "variables": [
        {
            "name": "group",
            "operation": "equals",
            "value": "MyGroupName
        }
    ]
}

I don't see other way to retrieve "custom" informations from a process
instance except by using the variables. And because this is a list I want
to display, it is really overkill to retrieve the list of the instances to
loop on each one of them to retrieve their variables.

Of course, in this example, I try to retrieve the current pending instances
because one of their user task is waiting to be unblocked by a user. But I
am doing the same thing to retrieve a list of already finished
tasks/process instances (so by using the historic-task-instances endpoint).
And I have exactly the same problem. Too much time to respond or time out.

So, here are my questions:

- Do you have any idea from where those "latency" problems could come from?
- Do you know if I can use the Activiti Java API with the embedded Activiti
in the WSO2 Business Process Server?

I am using WSO2 Enterprise Integrator 6.0.0.

Regards,

Thomas