Hi all,

while working on BOSH releases for WSO2 Identity Server deployment
patterns, I encountered the existing deployment manifest implementations
which utilize v1 schema [1].

Upon research of existing, popular BOSH release samples (e.g. zookeeper
sample [2]) and references, it was identified that v2 schema [3] has been
heavily used.

For testing purposes, I managed to build up a sample deployment manifest
using v2 schema, for WSO2 Identity Server deployment pattern 1.

A primary difference that was identified was that the *networks* section
which existed within the deployment manifest had to be defined as part of
the *cloud-config.yml* file of the desired IaaS.

Plus, the use of v2 schema effectively removed the occurrence of the
deprecation warning regarding the *networks* section which was constantly
experienced when running job tasks in existing BOSH release implementations
([4] and [5]). The earlier defined difference of the location of the
*networks* section was the reason for this warning message.

*Task 3 | 04:49:36 | Deprecation: Ignoring cloud config. Manifest contains
'networks' section.*

If the use of manifest v2 schema is adopted, it is required to request the
user to edit the *cloud-config.yml* file of the desired IaaS, to update the
*networks* configurations (prior to deployment). Plus, the user has to
update the current cloud-config.yml using the BOSH Command Line Interface
(CLI).

IMO, it would be better to move to using v2 schema due to its wide usage
and as it separates out infrastructure specific details from those that are
not [6]. Plus, from my personal experience it was identified that v1 schema
leads to redundancy in some configurations defined.

Shall we move to using deployment manifest schema v2? WDYT?

[1]: https://bosh.io/docs/deployment-manifest.html
[2]: https://github.com/cppforlife/zookeeper-release/blob/master/manifests/
zookeeper.yml
[3]: https://bosh.io/docs/manifest-v2.html
[4]: https://github.com/wso2/pivotal-cf-apim
[5]: https://github.com/wso2/pivotal-cf-is
[6]:
https://ultimateguidetobosh.com/deployment-manifests-part-1/#cloud-config-part-1

--
Yours sincerely,

*Chiranga Alwis*
Software Engineer | WSO2

*Mobile : *+94775930497 <+94%2077%20593%200497>
*Email: *chirangaal...@gmail.com
*LinkedIn: *https://lk.linkedin.com/in/chiranga-alwis-391342a9
*Medium:* https://medium.com/@chirangaalwis

<http://wso2.com/signature>