Thanks to Owen,  pretty much determined the only way to have feature
parity under JDK9+ is to extend an internal Java object (specifically
DocEnvImpl from jdk.javadoc.internal.tool.DocEnvImpl) . From what we can tell,
the new javadoc APIs do not provide a way (easy or otherwise) to remove content
from the document tree.  We as a community need to decide how we want to go
forward.

        We’re not the only ones to hit this issue but from what we can tell,
the Java team isn’t interested in fixing it.

        Some options off the top of my head:

        - Go ahead and do the hack. We wouldn’t be the first to do it (see
https://github.com/rnc/hiderdoclet/blob/main/doclet/src/main/java/org/goots/hiderdoclet/doclet/DocletEnvironmentProcessor.java
 which is also ASL 2.0 so we could effectively just lift and modify this code)

        - Remove the Javadoc functionality entirely…. but I’m not sure how
useful these annotations become without it.

        - Throw in the towel and just remove the annotations functionality
entirely.

        I’m sure there are others.

Thoughts?

Thanks!