Sorry for such a tardy reply.

If the user has specified a PR target for the build, I think it will be
surprising to switch to a branch build. I have also experienced the
frustration of "why doesn't it understand this PR target... oh wait, my
credentials are not present/need elevated." I'd much prefer an error
message that reminds me to check that the credentials are present and have
necessary privileges.

Thanks,
Nick