Yes we can easily create a banner on the website.
We can even change the landing page of the website slightly to add a nice
announcement that is more prominent.

Anyone can open a PR against the site repository to do that.
The procedure to update the site is documented.
It would also be a good first issue for someone who wants to get more
familiar with the site build and customisation.

Wilfred